Interesting Facts About Bipolar Disorder (from the DSM IV)
- Average age of onset is 20 years old.
- The first episode in males is more likely to be a Manic Episode, and the number of Manic Episodes is more likely to meet or exceed the number of Major Depressive Episodes.
- A female’s first episode is more likely to be a Major Depressive Episode, and it predominates over the amount of Mania.
- Rapid cycling is more common in women.
- About 10%-15% of adolescents with recurrent Major Depressive Episodes will go on to develop Bipolar I disorder
- The lifetime prevalence of Bipolar I Disorder is between 0.4% to 1.6%.
- 10%-15% of individuals with Bipolar I Disorder die from suicide.